The Town of Bennett is a growing community on the eastern edge of the Metro Denver Region. The Town is conveniently located 25 minutes from Denver International Airport and 15 minutes from the Colorado Air and Space Port.
The town was incorporated in 1930 and has steadily grown into a thriving and self sustaining community with an excellent public school system, abundant parks and trails, and a growing hub for good and services along the I-70 Corridor. With recent capital investments, Bennett water and wastewater systems match the innovation and sophistication of the greater metropolitan area and provide reliable services to our community.
The Town of Bennett is a statutory town located in both Adams and Arapahoe Counties. The Town is governed by a Board of Trustees elected for four year terms. Bennett was incorporated on September 25, 1929.
The local historical society has done a great deal of research into the origins of the Town. Documents from the Bureau of Land Management show that four Bennet brothers (Hiram, John, Uriah and one unnamed brother) filed homestead papers in 1862 for two sections (34 and 24) now in the Town of Bennett. These two sections were adjacent diagonally on the north and south of the current location of the Bennett Post Office. The collection of land homesteaded by the Bennet brothers formed the Bennet Ranch.
One of these brothers, Hiram Pitt Bennet, was a respected judge in the early territory of Colorado. Mr. Bennet was elected the first Territorial Representative in 1862 and was instrumental in obtaining statehood for Colorado. Mr. H. P. Bennet went on to become the third Postmaster of Denver in 1869 and developed a method of delivering mail to all the new pioneer people in rural areas. Through the years the English name of Bennet was Americanized to Bennett and first noted in railroad records.
Bennett was not incorporated until 1929, but long before that time, the family that originally homesteaded the area and for whom the Town was named, were leaders in the development of the State of Colorado.